SUP Expedition Skills
Dates: 9-10 October 2021
Location: South Devon
This course is aimed at giving you the skills and confidence to safely plan your own low-impact, overnight self-contained SUP journeys.
It includes a planning meeting over Zoom, two days expedition journey and one night wild camping.
- Trip planning and navigation
- Lightweight gear choice and preparation
- Expedition food and drink
- Tidal planning
- Low impact camping
- Environmental considerations and wildlife
- Efficient paddling techniques
- Emergency planning and evacuation
- Rescue skills
- Working in a very small group will ensure minimum environmental impact and plenty of contact time to work on personal paddling technique with loaded boards.
This course is for paddlers confident paddling in all weathers. Whilst you might not have paddled with a loaded board you’ll be stable and confident in chop, small swell and tidal flows up to 1 knot. You’ll be happy camping outdoors with minimum creature comforts and paddling for up to 4 hours in a day. You’ll be confident self-rescuing in chop and you’ll own the gear to keep you warm for a full day on the water in October. You may have been on our Sea Skills course but it’s not a formal prerequisite. Please get in touch if you’d like to discuss whether this course is right for you.
Sample course outline
Exact itinerary will depend on weather conditions nearer the time.
- Zoom planning discussion: Trip outline, tidal planning, weather, equipment choice and packing, zero impact camping, food and drink
- Meet South Sands, Salcombe (9am)
- Trip outline
- shuttles if required
- review skills
- expedition journey 1 including: efficient paddling, navigation, communication, environmental considerations, communication
- Wild camping
- expedition food and drink (dinner provided)
- leave no trace principles
- Breakfast (provided)
- Expedition journey 2 including: rescue skills, environmental considerations and wildlife, shuttles,
- Depart (5pm approx)