The British Canoeing SUP Discipline Support Module is designed to assist anyone who wants to gain more knowledge about the specialist discipline of SUP. The course introduces and explains the basic techniques and strategies for working with SUPs. The course is a mix of theory and practical activity to ensure everyone has time to try things out.
The module aims to provide an overview of stand up paddleboarding (SUP) and the fundamental techniques and skills for SUP. This module will:
- Provide an insight into current SUP development
- Introduce the different types of equipment including the issues of equipment design, size and modification to suit individual requirements
- Provide a background to the various disciplines within SUP paddling and the specific techniques that apply to each
- Provide a fun and informative way to improve the candidate’s understanding of SUP on sheltered water, enabling the participant to build a solid background for paddlers to progress into their chosen area of SUP
- Reinforce the transferability of technique and skill between other paddlesport disciplines and SUP
By the end of this module participants should be able to:
- Understand the world wide development of the sport and the role of the various bodies on the field
- Understand equipment design and its application to SUP paddlesport
- Be able to discuss the different activities that take place on an SUP
- Understand the different types of board available, their characteristics and the different techniques used on them
- Understanding of handling a SUP efficiently
We’re one of the UK’s most experienced SUP schools and have run this course since 2015. We’re proud of the excellent feedback we consistently receive:
- Thank you so much for a very insightful and enjoyable course – Cheryl
- Most enjoyable and informative – Paul
- It’s clear that you are really passionate and inclusive about paddling – Charlie
- I was definitely in the cynical category before the session but was really encouraged by the sport itself, the coaching I received and your very genuine approach.
- You led the course with a knowledge and enthusiasm that was infectious. Thank you for an excellent course. We look forward to introducing many young people to the world of watersports through SUP!
- Fantastic course, good venue and range of skills covered. Awesome set up – thanks!
- A great introduction to teaching SUP skills. Nice progression and fun too. Nicely linked to kayak/canoe skills and awards. Thank you!
- Really good progression from very basic skills up to more advanced.
- Tim was excellent. Pitched to exactly the right level for all the candidates. Fun and informative without being patronising.
- Great venue for introducing the sport!
- Great course. Having started the day with minimal SUP experience I felt very at ease by the end of the day. Tim was also a good listener which is often rarer than you might think from some coaches.
- Best BCU course I’ve ever been on. Thank you SUP Bristol!
- I found the SUP course fun and informative. Good course. Very enjoyable, enthusiastic instructor. Very informative. Good to try different types of boards. Practically based.
- Great structure and well organised. Good intro to SUP. I’m looking forward to the future!
- Good pace to the course with opportunities to practice. Good fun, delivery was good. Approachable and open to ideas. Much appreciated!
- Great practical hands on course giving useful skills and ideas for running sessions. Nice pace and content. Informative up-to-date information with a knowledgable, enthusiastic instructor in a great setting! The course was adaptable to weather challenges and there was an excellent variety of boards to try at the end too.
- Clear, concise information. Enjoyable. Fun. Lovely coffee. All go! (as in, not too much sitting about!)
- Well presented, informative with interesting discussion points and useful progression ideas. The safety session was invaluable.
- I found this course fun and informative. Tim was very approachable. I particularly liked the play with safety and towing options. I’m keen to learn more!
- Friendly and informative, nice and relaxed. Facilities are good. Friendly, informed instruction. Practically based for the majority and where appropriate. Good variety of equipment and facilities