Assistant Manager (Full time, seasonal)
SUP Bristol is an award-winning paddleboarding school established in 2014. We were one of the first SUP specific schools in the UK and are now one of the largest. Our love for the outdoors shows in everything we do, from supporting the first paddle strokes to enabling epic adventures and training the next generation of instructors.
We’re looking for a key member of staff to work with us to deliver our 2023 season. It’s an exciting and varied role, and you’ll need to be as confident on the water with groups as you are speaking on the phone to customers, managing the booking system or helping to develop new products.
On the water your role will primarily be alongside the team leading SUP experiences in the historic Bristol Floating Harbour. You will have the knowledge, skills and experience to facilitate superb experiences for our clients, with infectious enthusiasm for paddling and the outdoors. Off the water you’ll be taking bookings, managing our Fareharbor and Teamup booking systems; and speaking with customers on the phone and email. You’ll need good attention to detail and to be tech savvy – you’ll need to know your way around Google Workspace, and be able to pick up new software packages quickly.
You’ll work with a range of customers with varying skill levels and expectations. We work with adult, family and corporate groups, and we also have a very active local active membership – you’ll be able to adapt your style to suit these diverse groups. You’ll be a knowledgeable and experienced paddler and keen to muck in and get up to speed quickly.
You’ll be happy working independently as well as within our small friendly team (two directors, two full time instructors and several part time staff).
SUP Bristol, Underfall Yard, Cumberland Road, Bristol, BS1 6XG
- To deliver high quality stand up paddleboarding sessions.
- To demonstrate a high level of customer care
- To inspire and motivate other instructors and assist with in-house training
- To demonstrate in-depth knowledge of paddleboarding; with strong personal paddling ability and experience
- To record session data and upload session photographs
- To build a rapport with members to support their development and encourage further training and trips
- To manage and maintain equipment
- To run coastal courses and trips away from Bristol
- Manage booking office including taking bookings, liasing with customers and staffing sessions
- To act as Duty Manager
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience of Google Workspace
- Experience using accounting software (we use Xero)
- Experience with booking platforms (knowledge of Fareharbor would be a bonus)
- Experience leading teams
One of the following or higher
- WSA Foundation SUP Instructor
- British Canoeing SUP Leader,
- Paddlesport Leader with SUP Module or significant SUP experience
- ASI Level Two
- BSUPA Level One
and Current 16-hour outdoor first aid certificate
You will need a full driving licence and be confident driving large vans. Ideally you’ll have a higher level qualification enabling you to lead coastal journeys, such as WSA Adventure Guide or BC Sea Kayak Leader.
Benefits of working with SUP Bristol
- Small, friendly team
- In-house training
- A commitment to your continued professional development (including subsidised training courses)
- Living Wage Employer
- Use of equipment when you’re not working
- Access to trade discounts
Contract and hours
Seasonal. Full time 40 hrs per week. Due to the nature of our work you’ll be required to work most weekends as well as a couple of evenings a week. You may work fewer hours at the start and end of the contract and more in the peak summer holiday months.
£25,500 to 30,000 depending on experience, qualifications and what else you can bring to the business. We are an accredited Real Living Wage Employer.
25 days holiday (prorata)
NEST Pension (Ethical option available)
How to apply
Email email@example.com with a brief introduction. We’d like to know how your skills and experience match what we’re looking for. Do get in touch if you’d like a chat on the phone first.